I recently celebrated my Birthday week and spent it in snowy Big Bear! Woot woot! 🙂 My husband and I have been waiting for awhile for snow season, which unfortunately did not come until now! November and December were pretty much warmer than usual in the mountains, there has been snow, but more of the slushy and slippery kind, not the kind that would be perfect for skiing or snowboarding. And I thought why not do an Athleisure look in the snow? There is nothing more physically challenging than engaging in some winter sports and it’s an amazing workout for your body. So I rounded up some of my tips to fully enjoy this freezing cold, while still looking great! So read on.
1.Hydrate. This goes not just for your body, but your face as well. The cool winter air is extremely drying to your skin. Your ordinary day moisturizer might not work so you need to layer the moisture to get that dewy skin and avoid dry, flaky skin. Some of my faves are: Clinique Moisture Surge spray, Neutrogena Hydroboost Water Gel, Olay Total Effects, Smashbox primer water and Sunday Riley Tidal Enzyme cream. I don’t wear them all at once, but try to layer and work it in my skin especially if I’m wearing makeup for the day. I will share more products and how I use them on a future post! 🙂
2. Bundle up and bundle well. Layering is key. I’m a petite person who grew up in the tropics and winter weather is waaay too cold for me. While this weather will definitely make me want to snuggle up under the covers the whole day, I also want to go outside and enjoy the beautiful white snow, take cute photos and and get a chance to wear my winter clothes. I find that wearing a good quality base layer underneath your coat really helps keep the cold out. So don’t just wear your thick outerwear over a tee, wear a thermal layer underneath. I love Uniqlo Heattech Extra Warm as a base layer. It really keeps you warm and is actually not puffy but made of thin merino wool material.
3. Put on some makeup. Girls this weather really washes everyone’s color out. Even supermodels need help when out in the snow! With the stress of driving up the mountains, the freezing cold and the harsh light of the sun, all these elements will defnitely make anyone pale. Take some time and apply some tinted moisturizer, concealer, lip gloss before heading out. I cannot stress enough on applying a good lipgloss, as the wind really dries your lips, I find that gloss really keeps your lips’ moisture locked in, when topped under a lip moisturizer or balm.
4. Experiment with fun colors and looks. Black and white is so blah! Inject pops of color here and there, it will make you stand out and will give you a happier mood on a gloomy and cold day! For this post, I wore my fave color pink, as this color really makes me happy and I know this will make me stand out on the mountain slopes! 😉 Which brings me to the next tip…
5. Immerse yourself- Ski, snowboard, other snow activities. Sure it’s fun to sip hot chocolate, eat in restaurants and and shop. But for me, it isn’t a full snow experience without engaging in some winter sports. Now I am not an athletic person at all, I don’t play any sports, except swimming maybe, but a few years ago, hubby and I took some ski and snowboarding lessons. And we were hooked! I think you only can trully enjoy something when you know how to properly do it, not just take the plunge right away. So don’t be shy and try to get some lessons, I highly suggest it, you will not only prevent yourself from getting injured, but who knows, you might even have fun! 😀
6. Take lots of photos!! The sun plus the whitest snow can make a perfect backdrop for amazing photos so make sure to take loads! (Another reason not to skip the lip gloss! Lol) You literally can take selfies and tons of pics even on the side of the road, this weather is just so picturesque!
7.Don’t forget your Vitamin C. All the snow fun cannot be fully enjoyed if you are feeling sick, so do yourself a favor and boost your immune system before even heading up the mountains. Eating lots of veggies and fruits and supplementing with Vitamin C is key to keep your health (and glow) in tip top shape! After all sneezing and coming down with the flu in the cold is not how you make the most out of your winter getaway!
So there you have it, some of my tried and tested tips on how to really enjoy being in the snow while looking cute/ presenting your best self. Let me know on the comments below if you have been to any snow vacations lately. Share me some of your tips too. 😉
Shop this post: